Tuesday, November 13, 2012

View from the Pit at Elf the Musical

We had the chance to ask Elf the Musical musician Jim Geddes a few questions prior to opening night at the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center. Find out what are the most exciting parts about being on tour and Jim’s advice for aspiring musicians. See Jim and the Elf the Musical cast and musicians this week November 13-18!

Jim Geddes
Where do you call home besides The North Pole?
I was living in Los Angeles, but I just moved back to Saint Paul, Minnesota. 

What instrument(s) do you play in Elf the Musical?
I play Reed 1 which includes alto saxophone, flute, piccolo and clarinet. 

What’s your favorite song/number in Elf the Musical?
All the music is great in this show, however I would have to say that the number entitled "Nobody Cares About Santa" is my favorite. 


Woodwind Section for Elf the Musical

What’s the most exciting part about being on tour with a Broadway musical?
The most exciting part is being able to play every single night with amazing musicians in the pit and with the great talent onstage. 

Have you been on a Broadway tour before? If yes, what show(s)?
Yes. I have played for the international tour of Avenue Q and also the national tour of In the Heights.

Where did you get your start with music?
I got my start in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin both in the public school music program and private lessons with Dan Gilgenbach. 
 
Jim getting ready for a performance at the
Providence Performing Arts Center

What advice do you have to someone who wants work in musical theater?
Work insanely hard to be the best you can at your craft. It is a very competitive career, and every edge you can get will help you get into the industry.  

Tell us one thing people should know about musicians.
Most musicians are people who aren't cut out to work “9 to 5” jobs. We usually are a special kind of breed that thrive off of hard work and working odd, usually very late, hours. Our hobby is our job. We all enjoy every minute we play. 

In one word describe how you feel before the curtain rises.
Confident. I try and make every show I'm about the play the best I've ever played it, and I have to be confident in myself in order to do that. I can't second guess anything. It's live. That's the beauty of theater! 

No comments:

Post a Comment