Saturday, January 21, 2012

Show & Tell: Dailey & Vincent

Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Dailey & Vincent concert at the Fox Cities P.A.C. It wasn't one of my scheduled shows to review; I filled in last minute for another reviewer who was sick. As a result I didn't have the normal prep time before I would usually have before a show. I took a few minutes to check out a few websites so I knew what I was walking into. The websites and reviews didn't do the show justice. I must say, I sort of liked not knowing exactly what I was going to experience, I think it made it that much more enjoyable.

If you aren't familiar with Dailey & Vincent, they are award-winning bluegrass entertainers. And entertainers are exactly what they are! Aside from being fantastic musicians, the group uses just the right amount of humor and improv to keep their audience engaged. One of my favorite aspects of the show was how the entire group - but especially Jamie Dailey and Darrin Vincent - personally connected with the audience. Before the performance, Jamie and Darrin were available for a question and answer session. Sitting in on this extra session gave the audience the chance to ask questions in a very casual setting. Dailey and Vincent talked about preparing for their performances, the songs that they sing, members of the group, and the act itself.

Once they were onstage they continued to connect with their audience in many ways. They sang a special anniversary song to a couple in the audience, took song requests and at one point, Joe Dean, the banjo player even sat in the audience with an adoring fan.

Aside from their larger-than-life personalities, the members of Dailey & Vincent all possess amazing musical talent. I was especially impressed with Jesse Stockman on the fiddle and Joe Dean on the banjo. I never realized fingers could move that fast! Christian Davis and his beautiful bass voice was also a treat to listen to. He entertained the audience effortlessly with his low voice that actually made my belly rumble! I loved the rich sound of the Statler Brothers style quartet music, and I was amazed by the musical talent of every member of the group. It's no wonder they had their fans on their feet multiple times throughout the evening.

Thank you to all the members of Dailey & Vincent, I had a toe-tapping, hand-clapping good time. You most definitely have a new fan in me!

1 comment:

  1. WOW - I totally agree. I was there too, with one of my own personal tickets. I had never heard of the group either, but would echo Michelle's comment about them having a "new fan" in me too - they were FANTASTIC!

    Pat Laux

    ReplyDelete